Saints Steel Three Points

The New Saints Ladies returned to league action after a weeks break, taking on Steel City Ladies from Sheffield. The starting line saw one change from the side that beat Wolves Women, two weeks previous, Chloe Wilkinson replaced Caitlin Arrowsmith at left back. ,

The Game saw The New Saints kick off and immediately enjoy most of the play, passing the ball well. On the tenth minute the opposition were forced to concede a corner, which was taken by Maddie Jones. Her cross saw the ball fall to Charlotte Canlett who hit a shot which flew inches over the crossbar. Shortly after Emily Ridge was released she was one on one with the City goalkeeper who parried her shot out to the in rushing Lia Lewis who’s strike was saved by the visiting goalkeeper.

Within minutes pressure was again on Steel City as a free kick was given just inside the opponents half, taken by Chloe Wilkinson it reached Maddie Jones on the left hand side of the box, her pass back to Emily Ridge on the eighteen yard box, saw her shot fire narrowly wide of the Steel City goal.  On the twenty fourth minute another attack on the City goal saw Emily Ridge brought down in the box and the referee awarded a penalty. Charlotte Canlett calmly stepped up placing the ball into the bottom right of the net to give the Saints a deserved lead. Five minutes later, saw Maddie Jones being released down the left wing, by a Charlotte Canlett through ball, seeing Jones one on one with the out rushing goalkeeper, slotting across the goalkeeper to double to Saints lead.

The second half commenced with more pressure been applied by the Saints immediately forcing Steel City into conceding a number of corners and limiting their possession. Ten minutes into the half and a free kick was awarded to the hosts, just beyond the eighteen yard line, which Chloe Wilkinson stepped up to take, seeing her shot go over the players straight to the arms of the visitors goalkeeper. Steel City then had a spell of possession and seeing their best chance of the game after cutting into the box on the left hand goal line, seeing them one on one with Ceri Evans in the Saints goal. Evans kept her nerve and threw herself at the feet of the player pushing the ball away then scrambling up to claim the ball on the second attempt. The Shropshire side once again regained control of the game after this point and the final chance of the game fell to Laura Morris, after making a pacey run down the right hand side, firing her shot at the near post side of the goal, only to see it ricochet of the corner of the crossbar as the final whistle was blown.

After the game manager Peter Wilson commented, “We wanted to continue where we left off two weeks ago. To beat a club the size of Wolves means nothing if you can’t follow that up and we did that today. We were always in control today and looked good in possession which is very pleasing”.

“Going into this week with a win will be massive as we look forward to a trip to Sporting Khalsa on Thursday and then an FA Cup clash at fellow Shropshire side Shrewsbury Juniors on Sunday”.

The Saints now travel to Sporting Khalsa on Thursday, 7.45 kick off and then to Shrewsbury Sports Village to face Shrewsbury Juniors on Sunday in the SSE Women’s FA Cup.