TNS Ladies Make History – Twice!

This afternoon, TNS Ladies made history as they played in the SSE Women’s FA Cup third round for the first time in their history. Up against Newcastle United Women, on the road, it was always going to be a tough game.

Off to a bright start though, Andy Williams’ side took a 10th minute lead, as a superb pass in from Emily Ridge was met by Kim Bebbington. Bringing the ball down, a half-volley gave the Newcastle keeper no chance.

After hitting the crossbar via Sophie Davies, it was the home side who pulled level in the 59th minute, from a header at the far post.

However, Emily Ridge restored The New Saints’ lead on 76 minutes. That was to be the final score and it was green and white that celebrated at the final whistle.

In the 4th round draw for the first time ever tomorrow (Monday, January 8 2018), that’s the second piece of history created!







The New Saints Ladies are through to the 4th Round Proper of the FA Women’s Cup for the first time ever in the club’s history after a superb (and thoroughly deserved) 2-1 away win over FA Women’s Premier League Northern Division 1 side Newcastle United Women in their 3rd Round Proper clash at the University of Northumbria Coach Lane Campus, Newcastle on Sunday afternoon.

Saints had gone into the game on the back of a 6 match winning run in all competitions which had seen them open up a 2 point lead at the top of the FA Women’s Premier League Midlands Division 1 ahead of 2nd placed Loughborough Foxes Women, albeit with the Leicestershire side having 2 games in hand.

Meanwhile, Newcastle went into Sunday’s tie on the back of a 4-2 away win over Morecambe Ladies in the league on 17th December which had left them 8th out of 12 in the FA Women’s Premier League Northern Division 1, which is the same level as Saints.

The first chance came Saints’ way in the 3rd minute when Hannah Yates’s ball over the top on the right found Emily Ridge and as Newcastle keeper Grace Donnelly came out, Ridge sent her right foot lob from 15 yards wide of the keeper’s left hand angle.

Saints had a bit of a let-off in the 7th minute when, from defender Kate Huntbach’s back pass, keeper Stacey Garnham’s low kick out only found Newcastle’s Megan McKenzie 30 yards out who ran forward before sending her right foot shot from the edge of the box past a relieved Garnham’s left hand post.

Then in the 10th minute, Saints took the lead when Sophie Davies’s ball forward on the right found Ridge whose diagonal ball over the top found Kim Bebbington on the left, who fired her left foot shot from 14 yards into Donnelly’s left hand corner.

Newcastle’s first chance of note came in the 14th minute when Siobhan Jones’s ball from the right of midfield found Jessica Foster on the left who ran forward before being denied by a great tackle on the edge of the box.

Some 10 seconds later, Saints had a chance when captain Charlotte Canlett’s long through ball found Ridge, who sent her right foot shot from 25 yards wide of Donnelly’s right hand post.

Then at the other end in the 20th minute, Jade Clark’s through ball found Foster on the left who cut in before having her right foot shot blocked by Garnham.

Saints went close in the 21st minute when Yates’s through ball found Canlett who fired her left foot drive from 25 yards wide of Donnelly’s right hand post.

A good chance came the visitors’ way in the 30th minute when Sophie Davies’s through ball on the right found Laura Morris who ran forward before crossing for Ridge, who didn’t quite catch her right foot shot from 6 yards properly and the ball was held to her left by Donnelly.

Then at the other end in the 38th minute, a great chance came Newcastle’s way when Jones’s low ball from middle to left found Rebecca Olley who ran forward before sending her left foot lob from 22 yards only just wide of Garnham’s left hand post.

The last chance of the first half came Saints’ way in the 42nd minute when Canlett’s through ball on the left found Bebbington in space, whose low left foot shot from 15 yards was held at her left hand post by Donnelly.

The first chance of the second half came early in the 55th minute when Phoebe Davies won a challenge in midfield with McKennzie with the ball running forward to leave Ridge in on goal who fired her low right foot shot not far wide of Donnelly’s right hand post.

Just 40 seconds later (still in the 55th minute), Saints went even closer to doubling their lead when a neat move saw Lia Lewis win a tackle before sending a low through ball to Morris who fed Sophie Davies, who played a one-two with Ridge before seeing her right foot shot from 22 yards clip the top of the bar and go over for a goal kick.

Saints went close again in the 58th minute when Canlett’s forward header down the middle eventually found Ridge who ran on before having her shot blocked by Donnelly.

Just a minute later, Newcastle equalised when Olley’s through ball on the right found Jones who crossed to the far post where Stephanie Ord sent her diving header from 5 yards into Garnham’s right hand corner with the keeper unable to get across.

The hosts went close to taking the lead in the 68th minute when Jones crossed from the right for Foster to send her header wide of Garnham’s left hand post.

The first substitution of the afternoon came seconds later when Newcastle brought on Stephanie Lyons to replace Jones before Saints made their first change in the 72nd minute when Sarah Jackson came on for Bebbington.

A chance came Saints’ way in the 74th minute when Jackson’s high cross from the left found Ridge whose right foot hooked shot from 10 yards went across goal and past Donnelly’s left hand post.

Just 2 minutes later, it was 2-1 Saints when Huntbach’s through ball to the left of middle was dummied by both Canlett and Sophie Davies to leave Ridge clear on goal, who rounded Donnelly before calmly tucking her left foot shot from the left hand corner of the 6 yard box into Donnelly’s left hand corner.

Saints made their second change in the 78th minute when Holly Turbill came on for Sophie Davies.

Newcastle went close to equalising in the 84th minute when Olley’s corner from the right was headed out by Saints’ Louisa Anderson to McKenzie, whose right foot shot from close to the penalty spot was cleared off the line by Garnham near her left hand post.

Newcastle made their second change in the 85th minute when Emma Hewitt came on for Emily Tait.

What proved to be the last chance of note for either side came Newcastle’s way in the 86th minute when Olley shot straight at Garnham.

Then with the 4th Official having indicated a minimum of 3 minutes added time due to be played at the end, the final blast of referee Adam Nichol’s whistle a few seconds into the 4th minute of added time confirmed Saints’ place in the 4th Round Proper for the first time in their history and ensured a happy journey back from the north east.

Newcastle: Grace Donnelly, Brooke Cochrane, Rebecca Olley, Rhiannon Gray, Kate Brooks, Jade Clark, Stephanie Ord, Megan McKenzie, Jessica Foster, Siobhan Jones, Emily Tait.  Subs: Nicole Dack (not used), Lindsay Machin (not used), Stephanie Lyons (for Jones 68), Emma Hewitt (for Tait 85), Victoria Curtis (not used).

 Saints: Stacey Garnham, Hannah Yates, Phoebe Davies, Louisa Anderson, Kate Huntbach, Lia Lewis, Laura Morris, Emily Ridge, Charlotte Canlett, Kim Bebbington, Phoebe Davies, Sophie Davies.  Subs: Holly Turbill (for Sophie Davies 78), Sarah Jackson (for Bebbington 72), Steph Taylor (not used).



Media. Contact: